Thursday, September 9, 2010

Breeding Ground

I enjoyed a few elements of this story. The first person narration worked in the beginning, because it clearly showed the progression of the main character from oblivion to worry to panic to fear, and you knew enough about him to care what happened—at least at first. Once the monsters hit and he has to fight, and wimps out the majority of the time, I stopped enjoying it altogether. However, that has more to do with the type of protagonist I enjoy than the narration itself.

I also enjoyed the concept of this – all of the women becoming sick and decaying in front of the eyes of the men. That presented a kind of psychological element to the whole thing. Because you know the main character lives at least through the story in the book (he is alive in the prologue speaking of how he wrote this, after all), the stakes aren’t so much about his safety as they are his quality of life. We watch him break down as everything he hoped for and loved is taken from him. His girlfriend, Chloe, and the hope for a baby are snatched from him, and yet some part of him still holds on to that love. He cherishes his memories. I really enjoyed that. Until he ran away from her. Practical, yes. Romantic, no. Then the widows arrive, and it’s post-apocalyptic mayhem. I’m always a fan of end-of-the-world drama, because it’s normally very exciting. However, in the hands of this passive and less than impressive character, the post-apocalyptic stuff wasn’t what I expected.

Other elements that I thought really worked: the descriptions. So much of the tension in this story came from the way the world and Chloe and the widows were described. It was very clear prose that evoked very vivid images, in my opinion. And although the oblivion that Matthew experiences in the first few chapters seems ludicrous to me, it also rings true. I’m not sure if I would notice the state of the neighborhood until it started effecting me directly. That’s a scary thought in and of itself, because the most frightening aspect of what happened in this book is how easily it happened. It just snuck up on the world without a fight, and then it was just a “wait and see” game, like the doctor said. Everyone was helpless against it, and that’s my kind of monster. One where surviving requires beating the odds. At the same time, though, I wasn’t always on the edge of my seat, scared by the story. Not even in the beginning, before it’s clear that Matthew Edge is a coward.

After answering this week’s IPP, I got to thinking about the fear factor of this novel. What was it that made me think the monster was beautifully crafted but prevented me from really feeling the fear? I think it may be the structure of the novel itself. It starts off with a prologue that clearly shows us that the narrator was alive throughout the events in this text, since he wrote it after it happened. And the way he talks about Chloe in the opening chapter lets the reader know that she doesn’t make it, so there’s no reason to become attached to her character from the start. I think that lessens the emotional impact, thus lessening the fear. However, I’m not sure that changing the structure would change this, mostly because Pinborough may have lost something had she set the novel up any other way. The prologue serves as the hook that grabs the reader and pushes us to turn the page, even while the condition develops slowly in those early chapters. Removing the prologue and changing the structure may eliminate that hook. So, I’m not sure what could be done to restore that fear factor that comes with the unknown, with the uncertainty of whether or not the characters will survive.

I know a lot of this post is focused on the beginning of the book, but as I’m currently redrafting the beginning of my WIP, I learned the most from Breeding Ground’s opening, especially since that’s the part I enjoyed most. I wonder what other readers think of the structure and the way this novel starts.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the first person narration of "Breeding Ground" immediately took away some of the tension (if not all of it). It didn't ruin the book, but it was kind of like the Star Wars prequels, you knew Obi Wan and Yoda and Anakin were going to live.

    Lots of people have commented on the narrator being passive and a bit of wimp in this book. The passive I have to agree with (and his non-chalant bed hopping, what was that about?), but I bought the wimpy stuff. He isn't a warrior after all.

    Good post. And I agree that the descriptions and the clear images are what makes this book enjoyable.

    Dave J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari, I think you've hit something with the concern about the opening. I think Pinborough could have kept the first-person point of view without making it clear that he's writing his journal from some safe place. That really did kill any intense anxiety about his short-term survival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Other elements that I thought really worked: the descriptions. So much of the tension in this story came from the way the world and Chloe and the widows were described. It was very clear prose that evoked very vivid images, in my opinion." -- Very well stated, and I must say that I totally agree! I think that her imagery really worked well in this story and it personally creeped me the hell out! When the guys started birthing the creatures from their mouths, I'm pretty sure I gagged!

    I was however, disappointed that the men started to be able to birth them too. I almost wanted it to be soley on the women because I think it would have linked wtih the apocolyptic theme better, as well as worked on a higher psychological point.

    --Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, BREEDING GROUND bled to death from several wounds, some small, some gaping. I was mostly bothered by the enduring cowardice of Matthew Edge, the blurriness of the widows, and the characters' decision to abandon the compound, but you raise excellent points here, too. Pinborough undercuts tension through her structure and telegraphing, via the prologue and the first-person p.o.v. Thanks for helping me to further understand why this book left me flat, and for highlighting a useful writing reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I, like many people, found that the main character was just too much of a wuss for us to care what happened to him. He probably had a stream running down his leg most of the story.
    I do agree that the descriptions were pretty good. There weren't many times when I couldn't picture where the characters were or could feel the fear because I saw the webs in the corners of the rooms. I did feel a little lost when they were in the military bunker, I couldn't get a real sense of it's size. Anyway, I was also left a little blah after reading it. I didn't care enough about it to pick up the sequel to see what happened to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar issue with the opening as well. At first, I thought there was no way that those changes would go unnoticed. How would Matthew not notice? But the more I thought about it, it kind of seemed realitic. Sometimes we get so busy that we don't notice stuff. I know I'm guilty of that. Sometimes I ignore things until they get out of control. And then I try to ignore them a little more. It is a little scary to think about how many people do that everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't care for the wait out the monster thing either, I really wanted them to kick some spider-ass and when they didn't I was quite unhappy. One of the weirdest parts was that while he was easily the weakest character, the women wanted to bed just him.I think maybe there's a big of unreliable narration going on here maybe, though since she never goes back to these characters that I know of in her other books, I'm left wi no proof of my idea. Although, if he were gojng to do that, I'm not sure why he would mention the cowardly things he did beyond that. Maybe he didn't see them that way? I still want this story idea from a woman's POV.

    ReplyDelete